In each of the following sentences choose the most suitable of the four suggested words:
- University fees / fares / taxes / duties are much higher in the UK than in Italy.
- I think the reason she always has a cough is because she’s such a(n) strong / obstinate / continual / heavy smoker.
- After the journey I fell into a big / profound / bottomless / deep sleep and didn’t wake until 11.30 the following morning.
- We have encountered / met / bumped into / reached all kinds of difficulties during this project.
- The decision provoked a(n) burning / heated / ignited / lit up debate in parliament.
- Many people seem to prefer happy / joyful / blissful / content ignorance to being told what is happening.
- He couldn’t go to the party because he had a(n) overturned / disturbed / disarranged / upset stomach.
- We had a very near / close / tight / narrow friendship when we were at school.
- Snow was falling and it was doggishly / cuttingly / bitterly / pungently cold.
- The way the baby is crying is a secure / sure / safe / doubtless sign she is hungry.
- The government has been using scare / fear / fright / horror tactics to convince people not to vote for the opposition.
- They are a perfect couple: ideally suited / adapted / fitting / appropriate.
- You won’t get a better job chance / possibility / occasion / opportunity than this!
- The manufacturers offer a range of optional extras / supplements / integrations / additions with this model.
- We will do our best to ensure that this does not negatively / adversely / unfavourably / contrarily affect your stay in the hotel.