A. Match the expressions in heavy type to the definitions below:
1) He’s a scary guy; he gives me the heebie-jeebies.
2) She’s a bit of a snob: she prefers not to mix with the hoi polloi.
3) It’s all higgledy-piggledy: you need to straighten it out!
4) I’ve always thought that astrology is a load of mumbo jumbo.
5) His wife divorced him when she found out about the hanky-panky with his secretary.
6) The doorman refused to let a group of guys into the club and there was some argy-bargy.
7) My friend dragged me along to some arty-farty exhibition.
8) Some interfering fuddy-duddy told us we were dressed inappropriately for the occasion.
9) Urban planning is important: you can’t just allow people to build houses willy-nilly.
10) The proposal looked interesting but after looking at the nitty-gritty we decided not to accept.
11) Don’t listen to him: he’s talking claptrap.
12) They are always so lovey-dovey they make me want to vomit!
13) Sometimes I need to get away from the hurly-burly of life in Bari.
14) A lot of these bigwigs pay far less tax than we do.
15) It was the simplest exam ever: easy-peasy!
- a) artistic in a pretentious way
- b) common people
- c) disturbing feeling of anxiety
- d) essential substance or practical details
- e) excessively romantic or affectionate
- f) important or powerful people
- g) improper sexual or financial behaviour
- h) in disorder
- i) noisy confusion
- j) noisy dispute or scuffling
- k) not at all difficult
- l) old-fashioned, conformist person
- m) pretentious nonsense
- n) superstitious nonsense
- o) without planning, criteria or method
B. Complete the following using the expressions in heavy type in the sentences above:
1) It was _____: an absolute piece of cake!
2) Don’t be such an old _____ ! Come with us and try something new!
3) When the referee gave the penalty there was quite a bit of _____ between the players.
4) Don’t just leave your clothes _____ on your bed, tidy them away in your wardrobe.
5) He’s having lunch with some _____ from head office today.
6) I can’t say I’m looking forward to returning to the _____ of the office.
7) She gets the _____ whenever she walks past the cemetery at night.
8) I refuse to listen to all this pompous _____ !
9) It’s not my kind of film; far too _____ for my taste.
10) She was never this _____ with her previous boyfriend.
11) The tables are not arranged _____ but carefully positioned to ensure there is a good view from each.
12) Some of these politicians have been getting up to all kinds of _____ .
13) They stay in ridiculously expensive hotels so they won’t have to associate with the _____ .
14) You don’t seriously believe in all that _____ , do you?
15) We need to examine the _____ before we make a decision.
1)c 2)b 3)h 4)o 5)g 6)j 7)a 8)l 9)o 10)d 11)m 12)e 13)i 14)f 15)k
B. 1) easy-peasy 2) fuddy-duddy 3) argy-bargy 4) higgledy-piggledy
5) bigwigs 6) hurly-burly 7) heebie-jeebies 8) claptrap
9) arty-farty 10) lovey-dovey 11) willy-nilly 12) hanky-panky
13) hoi polloi 14) mumbo jumbo 15) nitty-gritty